I’m amazed by the number of people I meet who skip breakfast because I lovelovelove this meal. I realize that this eat-less approach makes sense when the focus is cutting calories, but there’s more to it than this. Skipping meals triggers your body into “starvation” mode, which means conserving the calories it already has for what it thinks is ahead. A good meal at the start of the day gives your body time to burn it off before bed. I try hard to remember a phrase from a cooking class I took once, “Eat like a king for breakfast, a prince for lunch and a pauper for dinner.” Another simple trick is switching to open-faced sandwiches. As a child I remember thinking my mom was weird for doing this and figured it was an old lady thing. Who ever heard of a sandwich without two pieces of bread? However…. redefining the concept of “sandwich” is something to consider if you’re having a hard time shedding weight. Just think about it: If instead of spreading a thin layer of tuna between two slices of bread, you heaped a single slice with 3 times the amount, you’d get twice the protein, half the carbs. And you still get your sandwich.
- “Character” More Than Getting Tough
- Worry: Bad… Calm: Good
- Brush Fire and Essential Workers!
- Reboot to a Positive Mindset: Give Yourself 5 Min/Day.
- Pandemic Time on my Hands!
- A Fox at the Backdoor: Rest for a Tired Brain
- Loss of Freedom Brings Rewards: s-l-o-w is good!
- Laughter Softens the Onslaught of Bad News
- Stay-at-Home #2: Time to Notice the Little Things
- Adapting to Stay-Home Orders: Home Sweet Home